Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Moving from Vista to Linux

I decided to install Ubuntu Jaunty on my main dev machine to see what the 3D Compiz desktop was like compared to my laptop. Before this I have only run Linux as a firewall (Smooth Linux), as a server (Ununtu Server) and Ubuntu on my Laptops to read emails and listen to the radio while out on contracts.

Well... it's been almost a week now, and I have not booted into Windows since. Why not? Well... as it turns out... all the software I frequent (Blender3D, Processing, Apache Server) run faster, crash less and use the memory FAR more efficiently.

This was not what I expected, but none-the-less, a pleasant surprise.

An added bonus is the command-line interface, which has rich functionality like email, curl, grep, regex right at your finger tips. In Windows I have to install software to complete these tasks.

I find myself using the command line all the time, which is great, because my poor arm is sore in the evenings from using the mouse all day. Oh... and the circular 3D desktop is awesome!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment